A Bronze Saffire comes with powder coated steel bands, hinge, and a cast iron top temperature control. Bronze Saffire carts are powder coated steel.
A Silver Saffire comes with 304 stainless steel bands, hinge and top temperature control. Silver carts come in 202 Stainless steel. Read about why 304 stainless steel is better than the rest here.
Platinum Saffire grills include a 304 stainless handle and the Platinum carts are 304 stainless steel with 304 stainless steel side shelves. Sapphire Blue Saffire grills come exclusively in Platinum Class.
- Ash Tool (Comes with All Grills)
- Heat Deflector (Comes with All Grills)
- Multi Rack (Comes with All Grills) — See "Does the Multi-Rack Fit My Grill" below for sizing information
- Crucible Firebox (Comes with Large and XL Grills)
- Smokin Chip Feeder (Comes with All Grills)
- Wood Chips/Chunks & Charcoal
- Secondary Cooking Grid
- Grill Cover
- Upgrades for Handles & Side Shelves — Bamboo to stainless steel upgrades
- Pizza Stone
- Grid Lifter
- Rib/Roast Rack
- Chicken Rack
- Wireless Remote Thermometer
- Saffire Mounting Plate for Wireless Thermo — Fits: Auber, Fireboard, Flame Boss
When you are on our Store page, you can sort the items that come up for you by popularity. Just click on the sort drop-down list near the top of the page and choose how you want to sort the products shown.
However, here are some quick access links for simplicity's sake.
- Remove your ash on a regular basis to maintain proper air flow.
- Use high heat, 500° to 550° F, for around 30 minutes to burn off the grease and smoke buildup (creosote) from the internal ceramic components and accessories. Note that cooking at 500° F or hotter from time to time will do to keep your grill clean.
- Ceramic components and accessories can be scraped with a plastic brush or scraper (not a wire brush). Regular cleaning is not necessary.
- It is a good practice to occasionally clean your chimney top. You can carefully wipe it down with a soft cloth before it fully cools to remove grease build-up on the outside. We recommend wearing gloves while doing so. Stainless steel chimney tops can be taken off and hand-washed with a non-chlorine dish detergent degreaser in hot water. This will prevent grease build-up, which can prevent it from opening or closing when it cools.
- You can wipe your Saffire grill down with a terry cloth or microfiber towel to spruce up the exterior. Lemon Pledge works nicely to shine up the exterior of your Saffire. Be sure to wipe all the pledge free of your grill before starting the grill.
- Periodically remove your internal components to clean out any pieces of lump or ash from around the firebox or fire ring.
- We suggest using a stainless steel or copper wire brush on your grids before you cook. Get the grill hot (500° F) for 5 to 10 minutes to burn off food leftovers. Brush the grids, close the lid and slow the grill down with the Air Controls. Finally, a good way to finish cleaning and prepare the grid for food is to wipe it with a cloth soaked with vegetable or olive oil. You can use your grill brush to aid in the application. A small piece of cloth will normally stick to the wire brush quite well. Do this just before putting food on the grill. This also helps to remove any bristles that may have been left on the cooking grid from the brush, which can be dangerous if swallowed.
- DO NOT USE HARSH CHEMICALS TO CLEAN YOUR GRILL.
The coating is a kiln fired glaze that is fused to the ceramics and not just a painted or coated enamel finish. After firing, the glaze becomes so hard that it is similar to glass. So it is partly resistant to scratches (unlike steel or painted grills) and the glaze will not lose its color or luster like the paint on a car will. No one will ever have to polish and wax the ceramics on their Saffire to restore color. So the benefits of a glazed surface are very high. But the benefits will be accompanied by some minor blemishes. While we make durability our first priority, the Saffire glaze cosmetic appearance has also always been comparatively good.
You should check the ash level before each cook, and remove it if it's building up.
- Ceramic Firebox — Being replaced by the Crucible Firebox (Large and XL only so far)
- Ceramic Fire Ring — Being replaced by the Crucible Firebox (Large and XL only so far)
- Large-Only Heat Deflector — Replaced by the Large Two-Piece Heat Deflector
- Old Primary Cooking Grid — Being replaced by the Multi-Grid (requires Multi-Rack; Large and XL only so far)
- Cooking Grid Elevator — Being replaced by the Multi-Rack (Large and XL only so far)
- XL-Only Multi-Level Adjustable Rack — Replaced by the Multi-Rack
- Rectangular Smokin' Chip Feeder Tool — Replaced by the round Smokin' Chip Feeder tool, which fits in the newer round Smokin' Chip Feeder port
- Bamboo Handle Replacement Kit, Large — Replaced by either the Platinum Rod Handle, or the Bronze Rod Handle
- XL Ultra Torsion Hinge Spring — Replaced by multiple Large hinge springs on the new XL model
Grease build-up can cause your chimney top to stick. If you have a stainless steel chimney top, try to tap around the chimney top plate to see if you can pop it free from the grease. Heating up the chimney top will help liquefy the grease and free up the top plate.
You may want to clean the chimney top from time-to-time. The easiest method is to carefully wipe it down with a soft cloth before it fully cools after a cook, to remove any excess grease build-up on the outside. Stainless steel chimney tops can also be taken off and washed by hand in the sink using chlorine-free dish detergent, water and a non-abrasive cloth. If that doesn't help, contact us using our contact form.
Your Saffire grill’s design and construction also provides you with superior air control and the flexibility to smoke “low and slow” without a deflector for a more flame-kissed flavor. Try both styles and pick your favorite!
- Make sure you have enough lump charcoal in your firebox. Think about your Saffire Grill as a controlled camp fire. What kind of fire are you trying to build? Arrange the lump in your firebox to build a big fire, and fill the firebox to the brim. Visit the Saffire video page and watch the How to Light your Saffire Grill video for details on lighting.
- Check to see if your fuel is dry. Think of lump charcoal like you would wood. Wood can hold moisture in even when it looks dry. The same is true of lump charcoal. Make sure you store your charcoal away from the elements, preferably in an air tight, sealed container.
- Clear the air holes in your firebox of leftover lump or ashes to ensure proper air flow.
- Take a look at your temperature gauge. Contact the Saffire team if it is not reading correctly on the grill or after the “boil test”.
- Make sure not to let your grill get too hot. Also see "How Hot is Too Hot for My Saffire?"
For grills with fire grates that hold the charcoal in the firebox, never let the ash build up enough to reach the fire grate. Cutting off some of the air from the bottom of the charcoal makes it burn insanely hot, which can permanently damage your fire grate.
However, if you have bamboo side shelves, we do recommend either covering them up or taking them off and storing them in a dry location when you aren't grilling. This will prevent a moldy/mossy build-up on the wood surface.
However, please note that if you have bamboo side shelves, we do recommend either covering them up or taking them off and storing them in a dry location when you aren't grilling. This will prevent a moldy/mossy build-up on the wood surface.
First remove the internal components and Side Shelves.
- Take the Side Shelves off, wrap them in padding and put them in the transport vehicle.
- Lift out the Cooking Grid and support rack and set them aside.
- Lift out the Ceramic Fire Ring and place it in the vehicle.
- Lift out the Ceramic Firebox and place it inside the Fire Ring.
- Put the support rack and cooking grids right on top of the Firebox and Fire Ring.
Now remove the grill head from the grill cart. You can use gloves or padding to lift the grill by the side shelf brackets, or one person can grab the hinge and the other person can hold it by the ash vent at the bottom. Lift the Grill out of the cart and place it in the vehicle. Put the cart in the vehicle as well. You can put the interior components back in the grill if you need the space.
Finally, make sure there is padding and/or support around the grill in case someone slams on the brakes or pops a wheelie on the way. You should also ensure that the firebox isn't sitting on any edge, like a seat, unsupported.
This is how we do it (although we usually avoid doing those wheelies).
Not every field needs to be filled out, but the more information you can give us, the better we can serve you. Please remember to include proof of original purchase if you have it (such as a receipt, credit card statement, or check register with check #, date, and price shown).
If the firebox breaks, please fill out our warranty claim form. Not every field needs to be filled out, but the more information you can give us, the better we can serve you. Please remember to include proof of original purchase if you have it (such as a receipt, credit card statement, or check register with check #, date, and price shown).
You can use a metal file or even sandpaper to sand around the inside rim of your grill. You shouldn't need to file any more than a quarter of an inch around the edge, and it's okay if filing takes off some of the gasket seal too. More information can be found here.
If you have an SG18, the Crucible will fit, but in some cases you may need to file off the inner rim of the grill to get the Multi-Rack to sit nicely inside. Please also see "Does the Multi-Rack Fit My Grill?" for more details.
If you have an SG22, the Crucible will fit, but you will need to continue using an older-style triangular Cooking Grid Elevator. While the SG22 will fit a Crucible firebox by itself, it has trouble fitting the multi-rack in also, because the SG22 is too short to accommodate the extra height of the Crucible with the Multi-Rack. We recommend purchasing the Crucible for an SG22, but please let us know you own an SG22 so we can make proper accommodations before shipping it out.
Please also see Does the Multi-Rack Fit My Grill?
Other—If you ordered parts or some other small-to-medium product, you won't need to sign for your package. Just open the box and check for any damage. If you find any, please fill out our shipping claim form.