Every Saffire Grill includes the ceramic dome and base, steel hardware (bands, hinge, top temperature control, patented chip feeder port, ash door) internal parts (ceramic firebox and fire ring, cooking grid elevator, and cooking grid), temperature gauge, and accessories (heat deflector and ash tool). Ask your Saffire dealer what specials they have available on additional accessories, carts, wood tables, etc.
The Saffire website serves as the online sales portal for Authorized Saffire dealers in the continental United States. If there is a dealer in your area they will fulfill your online Saffire orders by offering local pickup or delivery. All you have to do is specify local delivery in the notes on your order and if a dealer is available we will arrange for them to deliver your grill to your doorstep.
All standard online grill orders are delivered to your driveway (curbside). If local delivery is made through a Saffire dealer they will get it up to your house. If you would like to include setup and placement in your backyard or outdoor kitchen, select the White Glove Service product and add it to your shopping cart before checking out. You will be contacted in advance to arrange complete setup of your Saffire grill wherever you designate on your property. If you have any questions about this product, please contact us.
Do you want to sell the best kamado on the market? Fill out our contact form and our Sales Team will contact you shortly.
Saffire is a specialty kamado for specialty buyers at a bargain price. Dealerships can be confident that Saffire customer service will support them and their customers. If you have any questions about our dealer service, please contact us for details.
All Saffire grills have the same ceramic components. The difference between the classes is the hardware.
A Bronze Saffire comes with powder coated steel bands, hinge, and a cast iron top temperature control. Bronze Saffire carts are powder coated steel.
A Silver Saffire comes with 304 stainless steel bands, hinge and top temperature control. Silver carts come in 202 Stainless steel. Read about why 304 stainless steel is better than the rest here.
Platinum Saffire grills include a 304 stainless handle and the Platinum carts are 304 stainless steel with 304 stainless steel side shelves. Sapphire Blue Saffire grills come exclusively in Platinum Class.
That's a good question. Here is what we often see customers purchase, and what we believe are the most useful products. We've organized them by order of importance (in our opinion).
- Ash Tool (Comes with All Grills)
- Heat Deflector (Comes with All Grills)
- Multi Rack (Comes with All Grills) — See "Does the Multi-Rack Fit My Grill" below for sizing information
- Crucible Firebox (Comes with Large and XL Grills)
- Smokin Chip Feeder (Comes with All Grills)
- Wood Chips/Chunks & Charcoal
- Secondary Cooking Grid
- Grill Cover
- Upgrades for Handles & Side Shelves — Bamboo to stainless steel upgrades
- Pizza Stone
- Grid Lifter
- Rib/Roast Rack
- Chicken Rack
- Wireless Remote Thermometer
- Saffire Mounting Plate for Wireless Thermo — Fits: Auber, Fireboard, Flame Boss
Your Saffire Grill is a high performance machine, capable of cooking from 150-750 degrees Fahrenheit. Regular contraction and expansion across a wide temperature range could occasionally require maintenance. Periodically check your nuts for tightness and adjust. Check your temperature gauge and probe, and interior components. If you have any questions, contact Saffire Grills through our Contact page.
- Remove your ash on a regular basis to maintain proper air flow.
- Use high heat, 500° to 550° F, for around 30 minutes to burn off the grease and smoke buildup (creosote) from the internal ceramic components and accessories. Note that cooking at 500° F or hotter from time to time will do to keep your grill clean.
- Ceramic components and accessories can be scraped with a plastic brush or scraper (not a wire brush). Regular cleaning is not necessary.
- It is a good practice to occasionally clean your chimney top. You can take it off and hand wash it with a dish detergent degreaser in hot water. This will prevent grease build-up, which can prevent it from opening or closing when cooled. Be sure not to let your powder-coated chimney top soak in water.
- You can wipe your Saffire grill down with a terry cloth or microfiber towel to spruce up the exterior. Lemon Pledge works nicely to shine up the exterior of your Saffire. Be sure to wipe all the pledge free of your grill before using it.
- Cooking grids can be brushed with a grill brush, or scrubbed with a grill stone.
- Periodically remove your internal components to clean out any pieces of lump or ash from around the firebox or fire ring.
- DO NOT USE HARSH CHEMICALS TO CLEAN YOUR GRILL.
Contact your local Authorized Saffire dealer for replacement gasket. If you do not have an Authorized dealer near you, you can order from us here.
Contact your local Authorized Saffire dealer for touch up paint. If you do not have an Authorized dealer near you, please use our contact page to get in touch with us.
What looks like tiny cracks in your Saffire's paint is called crazing. Crazing happens on a vast majority of ceramic products. There can be less crazing when firing at lower temperatures and using lower gloss glaze coatings. But it is especially bound to occur at the high temperatures we fire the Saffire ceramics at. This is a subject of appearance, not a functional issue and not something that will in any way become worse over time. The glaze coating is permanently fused to the ceramics and will not crack unless it is damaged by external impact.
The coating is a kiln fired glaze that is fused to the ceramics and not just a painted or coated enamel finish. After firing, the glaze becomes so hard that it is similar to glass. So it is partly resistant to scratches (unlike steel or painted grills) and the glaze will not lose its color or luster like the paint on a car will. No one will ever have to polish and wax the ceramics on their Saffire to restore color. So the benefits of a glazed surface are very high. But the benefits will be accompanied by some minor blemishes. While we make durability our first priority, the Saffire glaze cosmetic appearance has also always been comparatively good.
If you have Saffire's original SG22 or an 18" grill, try looking under the 18" store category. Otherwise. here is a quick reference list that might help you find parts for older grills.
- Ceramic Firebox — Being replaced by the Crucible Firebox (Large and XL only so far)
- Ceramic Fire Ring — Being replaced by the Crucible Firebox (Large and XL only so far)
- Large-Only Heat Deflector — Replaced by the Large Two-Piece Heat Deflector
- Old Primary Cooking Grid — Being replaced by the Multi-Grid (requires Multi-Rack; Large and XL only so far)
- Cooking Grid Elevator — Being replaced by the Multi-Rack (Large and XL only so far)
- XL-Only Multi-Level Adjustable Rack — Replaced by the Multi-Rack
- Rectangular Smokin' Chip Feeder Tool — Replaced by the round Smokin' Chip Feeder tool, which fits in the newer round Smokin' Chip Feeder port
- Bamboo Handle Replacement Kit, Large — Replaced by either the Platinum Rod Handle, or the Bronze Rod Handle
- XL Ultra Torsion Hinge Spring — Replaced by multiple Large hinge springs on the new XL model
Grease build-up can cause your chimney top to stick. If you have a stainless steel chimney top, try to tap around the chimney top plate to see if you can pop it free from the grease. Heating up the chimney top will help liquefy the grease and free up the top plate. If that doesn't help, contact us using our contact form.
No. Your Saffire Grill does not need seasoning or “breaking in.”
Natural Lump Charcoal is the best. Natural lump charcoal burns cleanly with very little ash production. As its name suggests it is all natural wood turned into charcoal. Many types of briquettes are composed more of coal (fossil fuel, out of the ground) than natural wood species. See more info on charcoal here.
Saffire does not recommend using lighter fluid to light your charcoal. Lighter fluid chemicals leave a residue that requires several high temperature non-cooking burns to clear away. Lighter fluid usage also voids your warranty.
A heat deflector is designed to block flames from touching the food on your Saffire cooking grid(s), converting your Saffire grill into a “smoke-only” smoker, and is included with every Saffire grill.
Your Saffire grill’s design and construction also provides you with superior air control and the flexibility to smoke “low and slow” without a deflector for a more flame-kissed flavor. Try both styles and pick your favorite!
Saffire’s superior air control allows tighter temperature control without relying on external “bells and whistles.” Air flow is the key. Adjusting your top and bottom vents controls the air flow through your Saffire grill. See the Saffire Manual page 11 for details on suggested settings. Also…
- Make sure you have enough lump charcoal in your firebox. Think about your Saffire Grill as a controlled camp fire. What kind of fire are you trying to build? Arrange the lump in your firebox to build a big fire, and fill the firebox to the brim. Visit the Saffire video page and watch the How to Light your Saffire Grill video for details on lighting.
- Check to see if your fuel is dry. Think of lump charcoal like you would wood. Wood can hold moisture in even when it looks dry. The same is true of lump charcoal. Make sure you store your charcoal away from the elements, preferably in an air tight, sealed container.
- Clear the air holes in your firebox of leftover lump or ashes to ensure proper air flow.
- Take a look at your temperature gauge. Contact the Saffire team if it is not reading correctly on the grill or after the “boil test”.
- Make sure not to let your grill get too hot. Also see "How Hot is Too Hot for My Saffire?"
The temperature gauge at the top of your grill should tell you how hot your grill is. There shouldn't be any need to let the grill get hotter than 700° F. For the safety of your grill and internal components, we recommend cooking at or below the 750° F level. Never let your grill exceed 900° F. This is for your own safety, as well as for the safety of your grill.
You should check the ash level before each cook, and remove it if it's building up.
For grills with fire grates that hold the charcoal in the firebox, never let the ash build up enough to reach the fire grate. Cutting off some of the air from the bottom of the charcoal makes it burn insanely hot, which can permanently damage your fire grate.
No. Your Saffire grill is solidly built for you to enjoy Grilling, Smoking, and Baking whatever the temperature is outside. Do not pour water in your Saffire to put out your fire. That could cause it to crack and will void your warranty.
However, if you have bamboo side shelves, we do recommend either covering them up or taking them off and storing them in a dry location when you aren't grilling. This will prevent a moldy/mossy build-up on the wood surface.
Your Saffire grill is a high quality, top performance machine built for the outdoors. Grill covers are usually not necessary. If your grill will consistently be in contact with harsh chemicals like chlorine (from being right next to a hot-tub, for example [which we do not recommend]) or salt (from being used near the ocean), we do suggest a cover. Otherwise, covers simply reduce the need to clean the exterior of your grill from the elements. Note that you can also optionally cover your grill with a tarp. Make sure your grill is cool before covering to avoid condensation build up, which can potentially cause mildew on ceramic parts.
However, please note that if you have bamboo side shelves, we do recommend either covering them up or taking them off and storing them in a dry location when you aren't grilling. This will prevent a moldy/mossy build-up on the wood surface.
Saffire recommends using a Build Kit on combustible surfaces. The Build Kit’s ceramic feet and stainless steel shield create an air buffer between the base of your Saffire grill and the combustible surface to prevent scorching or ignition. DO NOT LEAVE YOUR SAFFIRE OPEN AND UNATTENDED to avoid igniting combustible material or overheating your grill (1000+ degrees dome temperature). Review any local regulations regarding the placement of outdoor grills, smokers, cookers, etc. DO NOT USE INDOORS except when approved for commercial use.
It’s time to get smokin’! Unscrew the cap (aka “bellybutton”) on the chip feeder port. Load your chip feeder with the wood chips of your choice. Slide the chip feeder into the port and rotate it to dump the chips. Remove the chip feeder. Screw the cap back on. Now you’re in business!
This is your Efficiency Plate. Peel the white cover off your Efficiency Plate and put it below your firebox at the very bottom of your Saffire grill, feet down. The air between the plate and the bottom of your Saffire creates a buffer that helps your grill hold heat for long cooks better than any other kamado on the market!
If you're a customer and you want to submit a warranty claim directly to us, please fill out the customer warranty claim form found here. If you are a dealer filing the claim, please use the dealer warranty claim form on the same page.
Not every field needs to be filled out, but the more information you can give us, the better we can serve you. Please remember to include proof of original purchase if you have it (such as a receipt, credit card statement, or check register with check #, date, and price shown).
It can be scary to see a crack. It's important to know that cracks relieve the stress of your firebox’s repeated expansion and contraction. They do not affect your grill’s performance. You may continue using your firebox until it no longer supports the fire ring.
If the firebox breaks, please fill out our warranty claim form. Not every field needs to be filled out, but the more information you can give us, the better we can serve you. Please remember to include proof of original purchase if you have it (such as a receipt, credit card statement, or check register with check #, date, and price shown).
If you have a grill from before 2018, you may need to sand around the lip for the multi-rack to fit. If your grill measures 19" from lip to lip (or in other words, from one side to the opposite), it should fit without any sanding. If your grill measures 18 ¾" from lip to lip, sanding will be necessary.
You can use a metal file or even sandpaper to sand around the inside lip of your grill. You shouldn't need to file any more than a quarter of an inch around the edge, and it's okay if filing takes off some of the gasket seal too. More information can be found here.
The short answer is yes, you just need to flip the Elevator upside down. If you want more information, see here.
If you have an SG18, the Crucible should fit, but in some cases you may need to file off the inner lip of the grill to get it inside. You can use a metal file or even sandpaper to sand around the inside lip of your grill. You shouldn't need to file any more than a quarter of an inch around the edge, and it's okay if filing takes off some of the gasket seal too.
If you have an SG22, then the answer is no. The SG22 will fit a Crucible firebox by itself, but it has trouble fitting the multi-rack in also. Because of this, we cannot recommend purchasing the Crucible for an SG22. If you firebox is broken, you can order our SGU19 ceramic firebox to replace it.
The jury is still out on this. If you are still using an older-style Heat Deflector, you may get by if you bend the elevator legs out so it can stand on the Crucible. However, we do recommend you get the new Multi-Rack, which was designed to sit on top of the Crucible, and to work with the new Multi-Grid and Two-Piece Heat Deflector.
Please read and print this form. Then, once your grill arrives, follow all four steps on the form to check for shipping damage. If you find shipping damage, please read our answer to the question "Help! My Grill/Part Came Damaged! Now What?"
Grills—If you ordered a 15" or larger grill (a freight shipment) and the box is damaged, please do not sign the shipping paperwork. Doing so is signing off on the shipment as undamaged. Instead, open the box, take photos of the damage, reject the shipment, and then fill out our shipping claim form.
Other—If you ordered parts or some other small-to-medium product, you won't need to sign for your package. Just open the box and check for any damage. If you find any, please fill out our shipping claim form.
Pretty much. We will ship to the entire continental US. We do not ship to Alaska, Hawaii, the Florida Keys, or other locations that are not part of the continental US. You can also look up your nearest Saffire dealer here.
We will only ship to the Ontario and Quebec provinces of Canada. You can also try your nearest Saffire dealer.
We do not ship new grills outside of the continental US and certain provinces in Canada. Instead, please get in touch with your nearest Saffire dealer. However, if you have a Saffire that needs replacement parts and you can't get them through your local dealer, please fill out our warranty claim form and we will get back to you about your options. (Please note, though, that shipping outside of the US and Canada can be quite expensive.)