Smoked Cornish Game Hens
When you're tired of sharing you're chicken, try smoked cornish game hens for a perfectly sized delectable poultry dish.
Prep time: Approx. 30 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
2 Cornish Game Hens
1 lemons cut in half
2 Bay leafs
2 Tablespoon Paprika
1 Tablespoon Poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon Fresh Cracked Pepper
Honey Mustard Glaze
½ cup Honey
1 cup Dijon mustard
¼ cup orange juice
Dash or two of Sriracha sauce
- Rinse Cornish Game Hen, then dry the birds inside and out.
- With a fork, punch holes around the lemon then cut in half.
- Mix paprika, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper, and rub the inside and outside of the Cornish Game Hens with it.
- Place the bay leaf and then push the lemon inside the cavity of each bird.
- Prep the grill for indirect medium heat (350° F) using the heat deflector and Cooking Grid Elevator. Consider using a rack for the Cornish Game Hens and placing a drip pan beneath the grate to catch any dripping. Get the temperature of the Saffire up to 250° F. Now add cherry or apple wood chips for the first 45 minutes of cook time.
- Place the Cornish Game Hen on the rack and you’re ready.
- Then raise the temp. to 375° F and finish the cooking.
- Cook the Cornish Game Hen until the internal temp reaches 165° F.
- Allow the Cornish Game Hen to rest for five minutes. This allows the juices to redistribute so you’ll have a juicy bird. Discard the lemon and Bay leaf from the inside of the bird. Carve and serve.
Directions for the Honey Mustard Glaze
- Mix all ingredients in bowl and brush on Game Hens during the cooking process. Apply within the last 30 minutes of cooking with a brush.
- Reserve some glaze to finish the birds before serving. Serve with your favorite vegetables and rice.