Up to 30% Off 2017 Models
10% Off Storewide!
Use Coupon Code: SFRHLD
Cornbread Baked Saffire Style
The earliest version of cornbread was baked by Native Americans. European settlers soon saw the benefits of cultivating corn, and cornbread became a staple of the early colonial diet. Cornbread remains common to dinner tables throughout the South, and makes its way out of many kitchens come chili or stew time. One of the luxuries of a kamado grill is the ability to use it like a wood fired brick oven. Saffire Baked Cornbread is some of the best cornbread you will ever taste.
2 cups of cornmeal
½ cup sifted flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg, whipped
2 cups whole milk
2 tablespoons bacon drippings
1. Prepare Saffire for baking with heat deflector (see your Saffire manual).
2. Preheat Saffire to 450 degrees. Add wood chips as you begin to bake the cornbread.
(Optional) This will create a true BBQ flavor that the whole crew will love! You just want to add some
hint of smoke; don’t overdo it. Smoke for half the cooking time or to taste.
3. Place the drippings in a (10-12inche) cast-iron skillet and make sure to coat the whole pan. Place it
on the grill for a few minutes until it’s sizzling.
4. Mix the dry ingredients together; set aside.
5. Mix the egg and milk together.
6. Combine the above dry and wet ingredients; do not over mix. Set aside and let the mixture rise for
about 10 minutes. This will create a lighter cornbread.
7. Take the cast-iron skillet off the grill .It should be smoking hot, but be careful not to burn.
8. Pour the batter into the cast-iron skillet and bake in the Saffire for 20 minutes or till fully baked. When
done, the cornbread should be golden smoky brown. You can test for doneness with a toothpick.
Consider serving the cornbread with a honey-whipped butter. Simply soften some butter and mix in some honey.