On very special occasions, my Dad would make arrachera steak on the grill. I remember him marinating it for hours and filling my tortilla with hot steak and cheese topping everything off with my mom's homemade "chile" salsa.
I haven't tried grilling arrachera in years. Every attempt tasted fine, except for being a little tough. After the Saffire entered my life, I knew the challenge of arrachera would be accepted.
- 2 to 2 and 1/2 pounds of "arrachera" steak
- Steak marinade (We used this one)
- A dozen tortillas
- Fresh lime, cilantro, onion
- Freshly grated cheese - we used cheddar, though chihuahua cheese is also very good
- Marinade the steak overnight
- Fire up your Saffire Grill with Saffire's All Natural North American Hardwood Lump Charcoal to 250 degrees
- Place the steak on the secondary cooking grid and smoke direct for 1 hour.
- Chop onions, cilantro and slice the limes.
- Grate the cheese
- Remove the steak from the secondary cooking grid and sear on the primary grid for 2-3 minutes per side. When finished, remove and let rest wrapped in foil.
- Heat the tortillas on the grill (if you like them fried, use a cast iron skillet with some oil)
- Unwrap the steak and slice
- Assemble your tacos and enjoy!