Smoking ribs over low heat for a long time is easily achieved by using the Saffire ceramic smoker. The Saffire, sometimes called a kamado grill, provides the ideal setting for achieving the low and even temperatures needed to prepare the perfect ribs. Minimal air is used which preserves the moisture and volume of the meat. Other great features of this charcoal grill are its tight seal and heavy-duty ceramic construction. It heats like a food kiln and requires about 30 to 50 percent less charcoal, saving you money and time. Perfect ribs…less fuss for less money…what could be better?
So, fire up that Saffire ceramic grill and try this tasty rub recipe for your ribs.
Baby Back Dry Rub
- 6 T smoked paprika or regular paprika
- 2 T onion powder
- 2 T garlic powder
- 4 T brown sugar
- 4 T natural sugar
- 2 T Kosher salt
- 1 T chili powder
- 1t ground cumin
- 1t ground coriander
- ½ t cayenne powder
- ½ t Chipotle powder
Prep the ribs by removing the membrane located at the bottom of the rack. Use a dull knife or paring knife and loosen, then grip with a paper towel and pull off. Next, thoroughly rub the spices into the ribs, place in a plastic bag and refrigerate overnight.
- Prepare your Saffire Grill and Smoker.
- Pour lump charcoal into the grill until it covers the series of holes in the firebox and then light. Get the temperature to 200-275-no higher.
- Set the heat deflector plate in for indirect cooking. Get a pan for the drippings. I use a disposable one that is the same length of the ribs. This way there is no dripping into the grill.
- Use a rib rack and smoke the ribs with just the rub on for two hours.
- Remove the rack and ribs. Mop ribs with your favorite BBQ sauce.
- Now, take some heavy duty tinfoil and make a large pouch to place the ribs in. Make sure that no air can escape.
- Place the pouch of ribs back into the smoker and let them cook slow and low until tender, about 1.5 to 2 hours or more.
- When finished, remember to close the vent and you’ll have left over charcoal.
Continue to check in for more great recipes designed for the Saffire Grill and Smoker.